While most people would not dare filing a lawsuit without the help of a lawyer, some people settle their injury claim too early and for too little money on their own and without the help of an attorney. There are a lot of benefits of hiring a personal injury attorney to work recovering money for you after you have been injured because of the negligence of another person. Here are a few reasons:
- Contingent Fee. Most personal injury attorneys work on a contingent fee. This means that the lawyer only gets paid if you win your case and you recover money. The more money the lawyer gets for you, the more money the attorney makes, giving the attorney the incentive to drive up damages as much as possible. The other side (usually an insurance company) works hard to pay out as little as possible.
- Expenses. The attorney also covers expenses related to the lawsuit on the front end. Cases are often expensive as there are costs for court reporters, filing feels, and expert witnesses. Your attorney covers those kinds of costs and only gets reimbursed those back if you win your case.
- Knows the law. Your attorney will know the law and can give you advice as to how a Judge or Jury will view a case.
- Research. Your lawyer will spend his or her time working on your case and doing all the fact-gathering and legal analysis needed for your case to explain to the judge and jury why you should win.
- Trying the case. You are going to have a hard time trying a lawsuit by yourself. Who is going to ask you questions? What would a jury think? The defendant insurance company is not going to be scared you are going to get a large verdict, even if you won.
- Experts. Your attorney will know the experts to testify on your behalf. Your attorney also may give you advice on what doctors you should see.
- The Opposing Side has Attorneys. The Defendant you are going up against has a lawyer (or many of them) and you need one on your team.
- Peace of Mind. Your problems are your lawyers problems now.
It is prudent to contact a reputable, trustworthy attorney if you are injured by the negligence of another. This is especially true if your injuries will be long-term or severe. It is also advisable to get an attorney involved if you suspect the other side has engaged in bad tactics or there were multiple parties involved in the accident. Hiring a personal injury lawyer is an extremely important decision. Your lawyer will represent your interests in settlement negotiations with the other party’s insurance company, and in court should you and your attorney decide that filing a personal injury lawsuit is necessary. This process may take some time so it is best to hire someone you are comfortable with and will work hard to put his or her all into protecting your legal rights.
Have You Experienced a Personal Injury in Kansas City?
If you've experienced a Kansas City personal injury, you should speak with an experienced personal injury attorney. Contact us online or call our Kansas City office directly at 816.249.2101 to schedule your free consultation.