Benefits of Hiring a Kansas City Car Accident Lawyer
When you are driving your car, you probably are not thinking about being in a car accident. In fact, you are probably concentrating on not being in an accident. But no matter how careful a driver you may be, the odds are that you are going to be in one or more car wrecks at some point in your life. And if you have never been in a car wreck, you may not realize the overwhelming number of issues that arise as a result of your accident.
Although your car wreck may be traumatic, much of the stress of a car accident comes after the accident. Especially if you are injured in your accident, you will want to spend all of your time and energy recovering from your injuries. You may not have the time, energy, or resources to deal with insurance adjusters, medical bills, opposing attorneys, uncooperative witnesses, and litigation deadlines.
When you are in a car wreck, the first thing you should do after seeking appropriate medical attention is contact an experienced car wreck attorney, like those at Foster Wallace, LLC. From the moment your car wreck happens, you will need guidance and assistance to:
- Assess fault
- Collect evidence
- Coordinate medical bills
- File insurance claims
- Negotiate with insurance adjusters
- File a lawsuit
- Prepare for litigation
- Negotiate a fair settlement
The attorneys at Foster Wallace, LLC, will handle all of these issues for you, from start to finish, while you focus on your recovery and returning to your normal lifestyle.
What Are My Chances of Being in a Car Wreck?
There are approximately 10 million car wrecks every year in the United States. According to 2020 data released by the insurance industry, 77% of all drivers have been in at least one accident at some point in their lives. The average person will be in their first accident by the time they are 34 and will experience 3-4 vehicle accidents over the course of their lifetime. For every 1,000 miles you drive, your odds of being in a car wreck are 1 in 366.
According to the Bureau of Transportation, the most common driving-related factors that increase your chances of being in a car wreck are:
- Impaired driving
- Weather conditions
- Aggressive Driving
- Driver error
- Distracted driving
The most critical time to assess the cause of an accident is at the scene of the accident. If you contact the attorneys at Foster Wallace, LLC, immediately after your accident, we will be able to help you assess:
- The conditions of the road
- Possible hazards in the area
- The extent of your injuries
- The damage to your property
- The relevant evidence
- The potential witnesses
- The accuracy of police reports
- Your chances of being compensated for your damages
Don’t wait until you are overwhelmed and stressed by doctor visits, medical bills, repair bills, and insurance adjusters to contact an attorney. The legal team at Foster Wallace, LLC, can help you from the start and will be committed to fighting for your case and helping you get the compensation you deserve.
When Should I Hire a Car Wreck Attorney?
Although not every car accident will require attorney representation, it is your right to hire an attorney under any circumstances to protect your interests. In most cases, however, it is important to hire an attorney to represent your interests. A car wreck that may require an attorney to become involved includes one that:
- Causes injury to you or someone else
- Results in vehicle or property damage
- It is not clear who is at fault or fault is contested
- Involves a pedestrian, a cyclist, other cars, or trucks
- Occurred in a school zone, construction zone, or work zone
- Involves an uninsured driver
- Requires you to make a statement to the police
- Causes you to miss work
What Can A Car Wreck Attorney Do for Me in My Case?
Having an attorney’s assistance after a car wreck is not only important when you go to court. An attorney will assist you with all of the stressful, time-consuming issues that arise. For example, your attorney will:
- Communicate with the insurance company – A common misconception is that the insurance company is on your side to get you the compensation you deserve. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Instead, the insurance company is trying to pay out the least amount of compensation possible to save money for the company. A car wreck attorney will have experience dealing with insurance companies and work to get you the compensation you are entitled to.
- File your claim and other paperwork – In the event that an insurance company is not willing to pay you what you deserve, you may have to file a lawsuit. There are many requirements that must be followed when you choose to file a claim. There are deadlines to meet and many documents to file. If they are filed untimely or incorrectly, it can cause delays to your case or worse. Hiring a car wreck attorney will ensure that your case is properly handled within the legal system.
- Increase your compensation – Experienced attorneys will fight for payment of all of your medical bills and expenses resulting from the wreck. Your attorney will gather evidence for your claim and build a strong case for you. This will help you collect more compensation to cover all of your costs from the accident.
- Serve your best interests – Your insurance adjuster will claim to be helping you settle your case, but they are working solely on behalf of the insurance company. Your legal team will be the ones who fight to protect your best interests. Your car wreck attorney will ensure that you are getting the most compensation that you deserve.
Why Should I Get a Car Wreck Attorney Quickly?
After a car wreck, there are many things that must be done to build your case. You should get an attorney as soon as possible to make sure you have the strongest case going forward. Some reasons why you should get an attorney involved in your case quickly include:
- Less stress for you – The legal system is complex and can be confusing for those who do not deal with it on a regular basis. Attorneys know the law and the legal system. You do not want to be learning how to navigate through this complicated and difficult system while you are also managing any injuries or other issues from the accident.
- Accurate details – You will want to get the facts and details of the wreck to your attorney as soon as you can while it is fresh in your mind. This ensures that your legal team collects important additional evidence and witness accounts immediately so that they are not lost over time.
- Investigation techniques – Your attorney will be experienced at using multiple methods of investigation to find the best arguments that help your case. An investigation is more easily performed and is more accurate when it is conducted as close in time to the accident as possible. A timely investigation helps to identify liable parties and leads to the person ultimately responsible for your injuries. From a thorough investigation, your attorney will be able to determine the true value of your injuries to fight for the actual amount of compensation you deserve.
- Statute of limitations – As soon as your accident occurs, the statute of limitations begins to run. The statute of limitations simply refers to the time limit someone has to bring legal action against another person or entity. Depending on what state your accident occurred in, you could have anywhere from two to four years to file your claim. While this sounds like a long time, that time period will pass quickly, especially if you are dealing with severe injuries and rehabilitation. You don’t want to miss an opportunity for compensation due to something as avoidable as missing a deadline.
- Quicker results – The sooner you call, the sooner you can get the compensation you deserve for your accident. This will quickly provide you with relief to pay your medical and repair bills and allow you to get on with your life.