A serious injury can disrupt every facet of your life. You may be unable to work, forced to travel to doctor visits or rehabilitative therapy appointments, and cope with crippling pain and emotional fallout throughout your recovery. You may also be struggling to pay your bills and daily expenses—adding financial stress to your already overwhelming burden. Our legal team takes over the fight for injury victims throughout Kansas and Missouri to allow them time to heal without risking the compensation they are owed.
Our Kansas City Personal Injury Lawyers Assist Victims With All Types of Accidents
Kansas City personal injury lawyers Michael Foster and Brian Wallace provide tenacious representation to injury clients, giving them the answers and advice they need in one of the most challenging times of their lives. As experienced accident attorneys, we know that many victims don’t have the funds to pay for legal expenses. We remove this obstacle from our clients by taking injury cases on a contingency fee basis—only collecting payment from clients if we have secured compensation for their losses.
Our personal injury lawyers can provide guidance on a wide variety of cases, including:
- Motor vehicle accidents. When a car, truck, or motorcycle crash that was not your fault leaves you seriously injured or a family member dies, you can hold the at-fault driver responsible for paying your medical bills, lost wages, funeral expenses, and other non-economic damages. Distraction, intoxication, speeding, reckless driving, following too closely, and other negligent actions on the part of the other driver could be to blame for your crash.
- Pedestrian accidents. Drivers owe a duty of care to pedestrians who are crossing the road, walking on a sidewalk, or passing through a parking lot. If a distracted or inattentive driver hit you while you were on foot, the driver can be held liable for your damages.
- Bicycle accidents. More and more people are choosing to commute by bicycle, and some municipalities are supporting them with dedicated bike lanes. However, not every driver is aware of the rules regarding sharing the road with bicycles. When a bike rider who was following traffic rules is hit by a car, the driver should be held accountable.
- Slip and fall accidents. Property owners have a responsibility to keep their premises safe for visitors. Victims who are injured on another’s property due to lax maintenance, uneven stairs, poor lighting, missing handrails, or negligent security may be able to recover compensation.
- Medical malpractice. Serious injuries can occur due to the unintentional acts of medical professionals. We can determine whether a physician, nurse, medical facility, or other entity’s negligence played a part in your injury.
- Sports injuries. Athletes across all disciplines are at risk of trauma every time they walk onto the field. We can investigate whether a student or adult athletics injury was caused by negligence on the part of the coach, property owner, or maintenance crews.
- Nursing home neglect. Unfortunately, elder abuse is common in nursing homes, and facilities and caretakers may be liable if a resident is injured due to neglect, overmedication, physical abuse, or other trauma.
- Dog bites. Pet owners can be held responsible for medical costs of infection, broken bones, reconstructive surgery, or psychological therapy if their animals bite or attack a victim.
- Wrongful death. If you have suffered a sudden death in the family that could have been caused by negligence, we can investigate the incident and pursue a legal claim on your behalf, giving you the privacy and time you need to grieve your loss.
Damages Available in a Kansas City Personal Injury Case
It is wrong to expect people who have suffered an injury to pay for the expenses of the accident—especially if the injury was caused by someone else. While no amount of money can make it as though the accident never happened, we can fight to get you compensation for bills stemming from your injury and seek a financial award to prevent your injury from causing future losses.
We can help you recover economic damages (loss of money or expenses incurred as a result of your accident) and non-economic damages (intangible losses) related to your injury, including:
- Medical expenses and bills. A negligent party may be held liable for your past and future medical expenses related to your injury, including primary care visits, physical therapy, medications, diagnostic tests (such as x-rays or scans), and medical costs you are likely to incur in the future.
- Loss of earnings. Loss of earnings can include regular wages you were unable to make due to your injury, but also loss of overtime and bonus payments. It may also include loss of future earnings or loss of your pension from an inability to do your former job or work full time.
- Pain and suffering. Injury victims may recover compensatory damages for bodily pain, humiliation, mental anguish, and other injuries caused by extreme negligence.
- Property damages. Your claim may include an amount to compensate you for any property losses, such as repairs to your vehicle and its contents after a car accident.
- Loss of consortium. As an injury to a victim can cause a loss to his or her partner, spouses may file a loss of consortium claim in addition to an injury or wrongful death claim. These claims compensate spouses of injury victims for lost society and companionship, loss of services, loss of assistance with household chores, loss of conjugal rights, and the loss of emotional support that would have continued if the injury had not occurred.
- Funeral and burial expenses. Spouses who have been forced to pay for the funeral and burial of a loved one killed through negligence can recover these costs in a wrongful death case.
- Punitive damages. Punitive damages are intended as punishment for the negligent party’s reckless behavior. These damages are only awarded if the defendant’s conduct is considered to be outrageous due to evil motive or reckless indifference.
Negligence Can Lead to Life-Threatening Injuries in Kansas & Missouri
Our personal injury team has helped clients suffering from a range of serious injuries caused by the negligent, careless, and intentional actions of other people. These injuries can cause permanent disabilities and be life-altering. The cost of medical treatment could prove to be astronomical, and you should not have to pay out of pocket—or through your own health insurance—for any of it. Some typical injuries we see include:
- Brain injuries. Car crashes, falls from heights, oxygen deprivation, and sports accidents can cause traumatic injury to the brain that leads to a permanent loss of cognitive and motor ability. Whether you suffered brain damage in a slip and fall, motor vehicle crash, or at the hands of a negligent doctor, we can help you hold them accountable.
- Spinal cord damage. Motor vehicle crashes and falls are the leading causes of spinal cord injury in the U.S. When your spinal cord is damaged, you can suffer paralysis from the point of injury down and require life-long medical care and personal assistance.
- Bone fractures. Nursing home abuse, car and motorcycle crashes, falls, and dog attacks can cause broken and crushed bones that can be very serious, especially in older people or when the break involves bones such as the pelvis, collarbone, femur, or vertebrae. Recovery could require rehabilitation and physical therapy.
- Skin trauma. The skin is the body's largest organ, and when it is damaged on a large scale, such as with burns, bed sores, or road rash, it can take months of intensive care to heal. Nursing home neglect, motorcycle crashes, and motor vehicle accidents that involve fire are typical causes of major skin injuries.
- Infections. Negligent medical care in a nursing home or hospital, dog bites, and burns could lead to a bacterial infection that can be fatal if not treated quickly. Sepsis and septic shock are very real risks with untreated infection or dangerous strains of bacteria.
Any of these catastrophic injuries could ultimately prove to be fatal, in which case, you could have a wrongful death claim against the negligent party that caused your accident.
If your injuries require emergency medical treatment or hospitalization, it is vital that you contact a personal injury attorney to help with your claim for compensation from the at-fault party.
We Help Personal Injury Victims Across Kansas and Missouri
Our personal injury lawyers are available to help clients throughout all of Kansas and Missouri. We are licensed and experienced in both states. Please reach out to us today if you have been injured by another party's negligence and you live in any of the following towns:
- North Kansas City, MO
- Blue Springs, MO
- Independence, MO
- Gladstone, MO
- Warrensburg, MO
- Kansas City, MO
- Lee's Summit, MO
- Liberty, MO
- Raytown, MO
- Belton, MO
- Overland Park, KS
- Lenexa, KS
- Kansas City, KS
- Olathe, KS
- Shawnee, KS
- Topeka, KS
Have You Experienced a Personal Injury in Kansas City?
If you've experienced a Kansas City personal injury, you should speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer. Contact us online or call our Kansas City office directly at 816.249.2101 to schedule your free consultation.
Foster Wallace Client Reviews
" Brian and Michael were terrific in helping me in my case. They made the process extremely simple, which made the situation way less stressful. They both are very responsive and do a great job at explaining tricky situations. If you are looking for legal help, I would 100% suggest you reach out to them."