Kansans and Missourians ride bicycles for a variety of reasons. For some, biking is their chosen mode of transportation to work or school. Others ride for exercise or even race competitively. Most bikers, however, just ride recreationally. Regardless of why a person is on a bike, they deserve the same space and respect given to other motorists.
Drivers fail to see and yield to bicyclists far too often. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimate that nearly 1,000 bicyclists are killed and 130,000 are injured in crashes with cars across the U.S. each year. Even though bicycle trips make up only 1 percent of all trips in the U.S., bike riders account for 2 percent of all motor vehicle fatalities.
If you are a bike rider who was injured—or the family member of a biker who was killed—in a vehicle crash in Kansas or Missouri, the bicycle accident lawyers at Foster Wallace can help. Call (816) 249-2101 to find out how to get the compensation you deserve from the negligent driver.
Typical Bicycle Accident Injuries
A bike rider might be wearing a helmet, but they are still no match for a car or truck when a collision happens. When they are hit, bikers can be thrown to the ground, run over by the car, or tossed onto the hood and into the vehicle’s windshield. The force of these kinds of impacts can cause catastrophic injuries, such as:
- Traumatic brain injuries. A bicycle helmet is a vital piece of equipment, but there is only so much it can do to protect a rider. A biker could suffer a concussion or worse and experience life-long cognitive and motor impairment as a result.
- Broken bones. It is not uncommon for a rider to fracture their collar bone, wrist, hand, fingers, pelvis, hip, or femur in a crash with a car.
- Spinal cord injuries. Landing on their back or being run over by a car can crush vertebrae and sever the spinal cord. A spinal cord injury can cause paralysis from the point of injury down.
- Back and neck injuries. Slipped and ruptured discs, nerve damage, chronic pain, and stiffness can occur if the back or neck is impacted in the crash.
- Road rash. The rider’s exposed skin can be torn up when they hit the pavement. Road rash can be as severe as a burn, causing infection and taking weeks to heal.
These injuries require emergency medical care at the crash scene and ongoing treatment, therapy, and rehabilitation. The medical costs to recover from a bicycle crash can be astronomical, but an experienced Kansas City bike accident lawyer can fight to get fair compensation for the victim.
How We Will Build Your Bike Accident Claim
If you did nothing wrong to contribute to a crash, you should not have to pay the price for the harm it has caused. If you were struck while riding your bike in a designated bike lane, mixing legally with traffic, crossing at an intersection, or otherwise had the right of way, we can help. As your legal team, we will build a strong claim for compensation against the driver by:
- Investigating the crash scene
- Obtaining the police accident report
- Talking to witnesses
- Securing video footage from traffic cameras or bystanders
- Reviewing your medical records
- Consulting with medical experts about your long-term prognosis and potential permanent disabilities
You are likely facing a long, costly road to recovery after a catastrophic bike crash, but you don't have to face it alone. We will review your case in a free consultation and let you know how we can help.
We Help Bicycle Accident Victims Across Kansas and Missouri
Our bicycle accident lawyers are available to help clients throughout Kansas and Missouri. We are licensed and experienced in both states. Please reach out to us today if you have been injured in a bike crash caused by a negligent driver and you live in any of the following towns:
- North Kansas City, MO
- Blue Springs, MO
- Independence, MO
- Gladstone, MO
- Warrensburg, MO
- Kansas City, MO
- Lee's Summit, MO
- Liberty, MO
- Raytown, MO
- Belton, MO
- Overland Park, KS
- Lenexa, KS
- Kansas City, KS
- Olathe, KS
- Shawnee, KS
- Topeka, KS
Were You Injured in a Kansas City Bike Crash?
If you were seriously injured or a loved one has died in a bicycle crash, contact our experienced bicycle accident lawyers as soon as possible. Fill out our online contact form or call our Kansas City office directly at (816) 249-2101 to schedule your free consultation.