Why Amazon Truck Accidents Happen
Amazon is one of the largest retailers in the world. The company uses a variety of delivery methods to get more than five billion packages delivered each year, including:
- Amazon trucks and vans. Amazon maintains its own fleet of vehicles and employs drivers to transport goods and make deliveries.
- Amazon Flex. Amazon Flex drivers are independent contractors who use their own vehicles to make Amazon deliveries. Amazon provides Flex drivers with insurance, but that insurance only applies when the Flex driver is working for Amazon.
Unfortunately, any of these drivers may cause an accident. Some common causes of Amazon crashes include:
- Lack of training. Amazon delivery drivers may not have received proper training on safe driving practices, which could lead to accidents on the road.
- Pressure to deliver packages quickly. Amazon's delivery drivers are often under pressure to deliver packages quickly, which may lead to unsafe driving practices such as speeding, ignoring traffic rules, or failing to take necessary breaks. This pressure may also result in drivers making risky decisions to meet delivery deadlines.
- Fatigue. Amazon delivery drivers may be required to work long hours without sufficient breaks, leading to fatigue and exhaustion. This can impair their ability to drive safely, increasing the risk of accidents on the road.
- Distracted driving. Amazon delivery drivers may be easily distracted by their devices while driving, such as their GPS or delivery scanning device. They may also be distracted by other factors, such as trying to locate a particular address in an unfamiliar area.
- Negligent maintenance of company vehicles. If Amazon fails to properly maintain its delivery vehicles, such as not conducting regular inspections or servicing worn-out parts, this could result in accidents on the road. Poorly maintained vehicles may also be more prone to breakdowns or other malfunctions, which could lead to accidents.
Other forms of negligent driving can also cause serious crashes.
Amazon Truck Accident Injuries
If you are hurt by an Amazon truck, Amazon van, or Amazon Flex driver, your injuries may include but are not limited to the following:
- Spinal cord injuries. A spinal cord injury can result in partial or complete paralysis, loss of sensation, and decreased mobility. These injuries can have lifelong consequences and require extensive medical treatment, rehabilitation, and ongoing care.
- Brain injuries. Amazon delivery crashes can result in traumatic brain injuries, which can cause cognitive impairment, memory loss, and permanent disability. The severity of the injury can range from mild concussions to severe brain damage and may require prolonged hospitalization, rehabilitation, and ongoing medical care.
- Broken bones. Broken bones are a common injury in motor vehicle crashes and may require surgery, casting, or other medical treatment. Depending on the severity of the injury, broken bones can result in prolonged recovery time and may limit mobility and activity for an extended period of time.
- Internal injuries. Amazon crashes can also result in internal injuries, such as organ damage or internal bleeding. These injuries may not be immediately apparent and can be life-threatening if not treated promptly. Internal injuries often require emergency medical attention and may require surgery.
- PTSD and other emotional injuries. Accidents can also cause emotional injuries, such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, depression, or other mental health conditions. These injuries can have long-lasting effects on a person's quality of life and may require therapy and medication.
The most severe accidents may result in the wrongful death of your loved one.
Amazon Truck Accidents Aren't Like Other Motor Vehicle Crashes: Contact a Kansas City Amazon Truck Accident Attorney
Figuring out who is liable for paying your accident damages may be complicated. Amazon may blame the driver, especially if the driver was an independent contractor, and the driver may blame Amazon.
Accordingly, you need an experienced Kansas City Amazon accident lawyer who knows how to investigate these complex cases and who will guide you through each step of your case to get you the fair compensation you deserve.
Contact Kansas City Amazon Truck Accident Lawyers Michael Foster and Brian Wallace
If you have been involved in an Amazon truck accident in Kansas or Missouri, you need to speak with an experienced amazon truck accident lawyer as soon as possible. Contact us online or call our Kansas City office directly at 816-249-2101 to schedule your free consultation. If you're not ready to talk, but still want to learn more about your rights, allow us to mail you a complimentary copy of Anatomy of a Personal Injury Claim: A Guide to the Legal Process in Kansas and Missouri.