If you have been injured in an accident and have tried to retain a lawyer, you may have heard more than one lawyer tell you: “You don’t have to pay a thing!” Well, that would be nice, and you should not have to pay a thing. However, the reality is, someone has to pay your medical bills. Unfortunately, at least initially, that someone is usually going to be you.

What about My Insurance?

Even if you do not pay your medical bills directly because you have medical insurance, it can be costly, nevertheless. You may have to first meet your deductible, which, for many people, can be thousands of dollars out-of-pocket. But few of us have thousands of dollars set aside at all times for when someone texting while driving hits our car from behind.

If you live in Kansas or Missouri, there are certain kinds of insurance (and certain minimum amounts) that you may be required to purchase. In Kansas, you are required to purchase personal injury insurance. Kansas is a no-fault state, which means that when you file a personal injury claim, you must file it with your insurance company, regardless of who is at fault. Kansas requires a minimum of $4,500 “PIP coverage,” which means that your own automobile insurance company pays the first $4,500.00 in medical bills for you. After that, you must pay out of pocket or use your health insurance to cover any additional medical bills you receive. In Missouri, however, which is an “at-fault” state, it is essential to have “MedPay” coverage. MedPay covers your medical bills incurred from the accident, but it is added to your existing healthcare policy. The cost of MedPay could range from $1,000 to $10,000. In Missouri, if you were in an accident and injured, all those bills come out of your pocket immediately and that is why MedPay is so helpful.

Whatever insurance you have, we can help you determine how to pay for your medical bills resulting from your accident and still get the treatment you need. We also work on getting you the money you spent on medical bills and treatment back to you when you settle your case.

What If I Don’t Have Insurance?

For many who are injured in an accident but do not have health insurance, we at Foster Wallace can help you find appropriate medical attention and treatment. We will work with your treating physician under what is called a “lien” basis. That means that although you will be responsible for paying your medical bills, your doctor will hold your bills until you have settled your personal injury claim against the person responsible for your injuries, and you may use part of your settlement to pay your medical bills.

Let Our Experienced Kansas City Personal Injury Attorneys Help

The most important thing after an accident is that you receive the proper medical care you need, regardless of what insurance you have. Foster Wallace assists injury victims across the Kansas City metropolitan area, and we do not collect any fees until after your case is won. If you or someone you love is struggling after an injury, call our office today or fill out our online contact form to set up your free initial consultation.