Truck accidents can be devastating events, often causing significant damage and injury due to the sheer size and mass of commercial trucks. Dealing with insurance companies can be a complicated process. If you've been involved in a truck accident in either Kansas or Missouri, this guide can help you understand the role insurance plays in accident claims, your rights, and the legal pathways available to you.kansas city truck accident lawyer

Understanding State Insurance Requirements in Missouri and Kansas

What are the minimum insurance requirements for trucks? Both Kansas and Missouri require commercial trucks to carry minimum levels of liability insurance. However, the specific requirements can vary widely depending on the type of truck, the goods being transported, and whether the vehicle is involved in interstate or intrastate commerce. Here's a general overview:

State Insurance Requirements in Kansas

Intrastate Commercial Trucks: For trucks operating solely within Kansas, the minimum insurance requirement depends on the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) and type of cargo. For example, general freight trucks over a certain weight may be required to have a minimum of $750,000 in liability coverage.

Interstate Commercial Trucks: For trucks involved in interstate commerce, federal regulations usually apply. Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) standards often require a minimum of $750,000 to $5 million in liability coverage depending on the type of cargo (e.g., hazardous materials).

State Insurance Requirements in Missouri 

Intrastate Commercial Trucks: Like Kansas, Missouri has specific requirements for intrastate trucks that vary depending on the truck's size, type, and cargo.

Interstate Commercial Trucks: Federal regulations generally apply for trucks operating across state lines. FMCSA standards usually require between $750,000 and $5 million in liability coverage.

Does the Type of Truck Affect the Insurance Requirements?

Yes, different types of trucks—such as flatbeds, tankers, and semis—may have different insurance requirements based on what they are transporting. For instance, trucks carrying hazardous materials usually need additional insurance coverage.

How Does Missouri’s Fault System Affect My Claim?

Missouri follows a “pure comparative fault” system in personal injury cases. Under this system, a plaintiff can recover damages even if they are partially at fault for the accident or injury. However, the amount they can recover is reduced by their own percentage of fault.

For example, if you were involved in a car accident and suffered $10,000 in damages, and you were found to be 30% at fault while the other driver was 70% at fault, your recoverable damages would be reduced by 30%. In this scenario, you would be able to recover $7,000 from the other driver (i.e., $10,000 - ($10,000 * 0.30)).

Unlike some states, like Kansas, that follow a "modified" comparative fault system, where you are barred from recovering any damages if you are found to be 50% or more at fault, Missouri's "pure" system allows you to recover damages regardless of your degree of fault. So even if you were found to be 90% at fault, you could still technically recover 10% of the damages from the other party.

The pure comparative fault system in Missouri aims to allocate damages in a way that is proportionate to each party’s degree of fault. However, it can make personal injury lawsuits more complicated, as multiple parties can share different degrees of fault, requiring complex calculations to determine each party's liability.

What About Kansas’s Fault System?

As mentioned above, Kansas follows a “modified comparative fault” system for determining liability in personal injury cases. Under this system, each party’s degree of fault is assessed in a percentage, and the amount of damages one can recover is reduced by their own percentage of fault. Importantly, if you are found to be 50% or more at fault for your own injury, you will not be able to recover any damages from the other parties involved in the accident.

For example, let's say you were involved in a car accident and suffered $10,000 in damages. After evaluating the evidence, the court determines that you were 20% at fault for the accident, and the other driver was 80% at fault. Under Kansas's modified comparative fault system, your recoverable damages would be reduced by your percentage of fault (20%), so you would be able to recover $8,000 (i.e., $10,000 - ($10,000 * 0.20)). However, if you were found to be 50% or more at fault, you would not be entitled to recover any damages from the other party or parties involved.

The Claim Process for Truck Accidents in Kansas City

How do I initiate an Insurance Claim?

After a truck accident, it’s essential to contact your insurance company as soon as possible to report the incident. You will need to provide preliminary details about the accident and provide information so they can obtain a police report. Be very careful when giving a recorded statement to any insurance company, so it may be wise to contact an attorney before you give a statement (even if it is your own insurance company).

What Types of Evidence Should I Gather?

When it comes to navigating the complex landscape of truck accident claims, the quality and quantity of evidence you gather can make or break your case. Understanding the specific types of evidence that are considered valuable can substantially increase your chances of a favorable outcome. Below is a more detailed breakdown of the types of evidence you should aim to collect:

Photographs of the Scene

  • Vehicle Damage: Both close-up and wide-angle photographs that show the extent of the damage to all vehicles involved.
  • Road Conditions: Take pictures that capture the state of the road where the accident occurred. This could include anything from potholes to a lack of signage that may have contributed to the accident.
  • Weather Conditions: Capture the weather conditions at the time of the accident.
  • Traffic Signals and Signs: Document any traffic signals, signs, or lack thereof, which might have played a role in the accident.
  • Injuries: Photograph any visible injuries, but only if it’s appropriate and feasible without exacerbating the situation.

Witness Statements

  • Identification: Collect names, addresses, and contact information of any witnesses.
  • Recorded Statements: If possible, record witness accounts of what they saw, preferably while still at the scene, so the memory is fresh.
  • Perspectives: Try to get statements from witnesses who had different vantage points.

Data from Vehicles

  • Black Box Data: Many modern trucks come with an electronic control module (ECM), also known as a “black box,” that can provide data on speed, braking, and other factors at the time of the accident.
  • GPS Data: Trucks often have GPS systems that can provide additional information on the vehicle’s location and speed.
  • Maintenance Records: For trucks, these could reveal a history of mechanical issues that might have contributed to the accident.
  • Driver Logs: Federal regulations require truck drivers to maintain logs of their driving hours, which can be crucial in determining whether driver fatigue was a factor.

Additional Evidence

  • Police Report: Always call the police to the scene and ensure an official report is made.
  • Surveillance Footage: Check to see if nearby businesses or traffic cameras might have captured the incident.
  • Skid Marks, Debris, etc.: Sometimes, physical evidence left at the scene can be helpful in reconstructing the events leading up to the accident.

What Role Do Insurance Adjusters Play?

Insurance adjusters will investigate the claim, which includes reviewing evidence, speaking with witnesses, and determining the amount to be paid out. Be cautious when speaking with insurance adjusters. Consult your attorney before making any statements.

The Importance of Legal Guidance

Why should I consult an attorney?

Truck accident claims can get complicated due to the various parties involved, including trucking companies, insurance providers, and legal professionals. An attorney can guide you through the legal labyrinth. An attorney can handle negotiations, gather evidence, and represent you in court if necessary. They can also help you understand your legal rights and options.

Navigating through an insurance claim following a truck accident in both Kansas or Missouri is not straightforward. From understanding state-specific requirements and engaging with insurance adjusters to gathering evidence and possibly going to court, the process can be complex. Therefore, consulting an experienced personal injury attorney is crucial to protect your interests and secure a fair settlement.

Brian Wallace
Connect with me
Kansas City Personal Injury Attorney
Post A Comment