If you slip and fall in a Kansas City area store, it is important to take action right away. Some falls can cause serious injuries like broken bones or head trauma, but even minor falls can lead to pain or discomfort. Taking swift and appropriate action after a slip and fall incident can help you protect your rights.
What to Do Right After You Fall in a Store
Immediately after a fall in a store, it is essential to take certain steps to ensure that your physical injuries are treated and your legal rights are protected. As soon as you fall, you can:
- Request medical attention. Sometimes physical symptoms don’t develop right away. You could be hurt and not know it yet. Accordingly, it’s essential to seek medical attention as soon as possible whether or not you experience pain, open wounds, or other injury symptoms.
- Report the incident to store management. It’s important to let the store know that you fell. Many stores have incident reports that can be filled out to document your fall. If there is no incident report, ask to speak to the store manager or owner and make sure you have that person’s name and contact information.
- Preserve evidence. Collect contact information from witnesses and take photos of the scene if you can. This will be useful if you decide to seek legal action.
Sometimes your injuries may prevent you from reporting the fall to store management, taking pictures, or getting witness contact information. That’s okay. You may still make a fair recovery if the store’s negligence led to your fall injury.
What to Do in the Days and Weeks After You Fall in a Store
In the days and weeks following your slip and fall incident, there are certain steps you can continue to take to protect your recovery. For example, you can:
- Get follow-up medical care. Attend all follow-up appointments with your doctor, physical therapist, and any other member of your medical team. Additionally, follow all of your doctors’ recommended treatment plans.
- Document your expenses. Keep track of all medical bills, lost wages, and other related expenses. This will be important if you decide to seek compensation.
- File an insurance claim. Depending on the circumstances of your accident, you may be able to file a claim with the store’s insurance company. However, you should speak with a Kansas City slip and fall lawyer before talking to an insurance adjuster or filing a claim.
- File a slip and fall lawsuit. You may need to file a slip and fall case in Missouri or Kansas to get the recovery you deserve. If you decide to pursue legal action, contact a qualified personal injury lawyer to represent you.
By following these steps, you can ensure that your rights are protected and that you have the best chance of recovering financial compensation after a slip and fall at the store.
Your Actions After a Slip and Fall Could Lead to a Fair Financial Recovery
After a slip and fall incident, you may recover fair financial damages if the store employees or property owner failed to use reasonable care to prevent your fall. Here are some potential damages that you could seek following your fall injury:
- Medical expenses. If you were injured due to the fall at a store, then you may be compensated for any medical bills related to the injury.
- Lost wages. If your injury resulted in missed work days or lower income due to job restrictions, you might be able to receive compensation for these losses.
- Pain and suffering. If your injuries have caused physical or psychological distress, you may be eligible for damages related to these losses.
Our experienced Kansas City slip and fall lawyers will provide you with an honest and realistic evaluation of your slip and fall case. You can learn more about how a slip and fall case works by downloading a free copy of our book, Anatomy of a Personal Injury Claim: A Guide to the Legal Process in Kansas and Missouri. Additionally, we encourage you to call us at 816.439.8665 or complete our online contact form to have a member of our team contact you to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation.