You may still make a fair recovery if you contact your car insurance company, call an experienced Kansas City car accident lawyer, and preserve evidence that you will need for your insurance claim or lawsuit.
Contact Your Car Insurance Company After an Uninsured Motorist Accident
Both Kansas and Missouri law require drivers to carry uninsured motorist coverage so that they have some protection if an uninsured driver hurts them. The amount of coverage you have is on the insurance policy declaration page that was in effect at the time of your accident. As an insured driver, you should have at least $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident.
Even though you pay the premiums on your insurance policy, your insurance company may act as an adverse party if you pursue an uninsured motorist claim. Like all insurance companies, your insurance company wants to pay out as little as possible in claims to maximize its profits. You can stay in charge of your potential recovery by preserving evidence after the crash and contacting an experienced personal injury lawyer to help you.
Preserve Evidence for Your Car Accident Insurance Claim or Lawsuit
After a Kansas City car crash, you can begin preserving evidence and protecting your rights by:
- Taking pictures of the accident site. Be sure to capture all damage done to both vehicles, any debris left behind, and the surrounding area. Additionally, take pictures that show other factors, such as the weather or road conditions at the time of the accident.
- Collect contact information from witnesses. If there were any witnesses present during or immediately following your car accident, make sure to get their name, phone number, address, and email address.
- Seek medical attention immediately following the accident. Even if you don’t think you were injured during the incident, it is important to seek medical attention right away since some injuries can take days or weeks to manifest themselves. Keeping up with any ongoing treatment related to your car accident is also important.
- Retain all documents related to the incident. This includes police reports, insurance forms, medical bills, and other paperwork associated with the incident. Keep a folder where you can store all of these documents so that they are easily accessible.
Your car accident lawyer can use this evidence to convince your car insurance company to provide you with a fair recovery.
Contact a Kansas City Car Accident Lawyer to Make Sure Your Rights are Protected
Any accident that results in injuries is stressful, but an accident with a driver who doesn’t have the necessary insurance to pay can create additional worry.
Our experienced Kansas City car accident attorneys will work hard to get you the recovery that you deserve. Your recovery may include the following:
- Medical bills. The medical costs associated with a car accident can be astronomical. Hospital bills, doctors’ visits, surgeries, medications, physical therapy appointments, and other health care expenses add up quickly.
- Lost income. If an individual cannot work due to an injury sustained in an automobile accident, lost wages, bonuses, benefits, and income from self-employment can add up quickly. It is essential to consider not only the immediate time missed from work but also any lingering effects that may cause an individual to be unable to work for a longer period of time.
- Physical pain and emotional suffering. Car accidents can cause physical pain, emotional trauma, anxiety, and depression. You may be unable to do your daily activities, connect with your family and friends, and do the things you enjoy. These damages need to be taken into account when determining how much compensation is due to those involved in the accident.
- Other expenses. Car accidents can result in unanticipated costs, such as the need for extra child care, alternate transportation, and help around the house. Any costs incurred because of your car accident injuries should be part of your accident recovery.
Our Kansas City car accident lawyers will fight hard to get you the fair recovery you deserve from your insurance company or by suing the at-fault driver. Please contact us online or by phone at 816.439.8665 to schedule a free consultation as soon as possible. We also invite you to download a free copy of our helpful guide, What Insurance Companies Don’t Want You to Know About Your Kansas or Missouri Car Accident Claim.