Kansas and Missouri Hit and Runs

You were either walking down the street or driving a car and another driver came out of nowhere and hit you. Rather than doing the right thing and stopping and seeing how you are doing and if you need medical assistance, the other driver flees the scene. What happens now?

In both Kansas and Missouri, that responsible driver was legally required to offer assistance and remain at the scene until law enforcement arrives and will likely be charged criminally if they can be found. If you were injured, that driver could face even harsher penalties because that driver had the duty to see if you were okay and help you get medical assistance.

What To Do After A Hit & Run

Obviously, the first thing for you to do if you were injured in a hit and run is to immediately get medical assistance. If you were with another person when the accident occurred, have that person take notes of any visible details you have about the other vehicle and talk to other witnesses about whether they saw anything. It is imperative you try to figure out who caused the wreck. Look around for any video cameras that may have recorded the wreck. Get witness information as you may need to reach out to them later about the accident. If you can, take pictures of your car or the scene of the wreck. Please also contact the police and give them a statement and let them know you are going to get medical assistance. After you have been initially treated for your injuries, report the incident to your insurance company.

Kansas and Missouri Hit & Run - Because you have property damages or even injuries, you need to let your own insurance company know about the wreck so they can pay your property damages. If you have been injured, you may also want to have a personal injury lawyer assist you in maximizing your potential recovery. Hopefully, you purchased uninsured coverage. This coverage only costs a few dollars a month and covers the losses you have when you were injured by someone who has no insurance or you cannot find because they hit you and fled the scene. But please keep in mind that when you make a claim on your uninsured motorist coverage, your insurance company is now adverse to you, so they may not be looking out for your best interests. They take your money every month by taking premiums in and lose money by paying out claims. How much you may eventually recover in such a situation will depend on how badly you were hurt and how what kind of insurance coverage you have. If you are not sure whether you have uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage, check with your insurance agent. If you do not have it, talk with them about the minimal costs and potentially fantastic benefits. Without uninsured motorist coverage, you may never be compensated if you are hit by a driver who flees the scene of an accident.  

Michael Foster
Connect with me
Kansas City Personal Injury Attorney