If you have placed someone you love in a nursing home or even an assisted-living community, the last thing you would want to hear is that the people who are well paid to care for your loved one were negligent in their care of your loved one in some way. Foster Wallace can help residents of nursing homes and their families hold nursing homes accountable for the injuries they caused through their neglect and/or abuse.

Understanding Nursing Home Negligence

Nursing home negligence means that a professional or professionals in a facility failed to provide care that meets the required standards of care, and a resident was injured as a result of that failure. Although nursing homes provide health care, they are not hospitals, and they have different requirements under state and federal law. A common requirement is that nursing homes must provide a general standard of care based on what is provided by similar caregivers and facilities in the community. Facilities that do not meet this general standard of care may be liable for nursing home abuse or neglect if a resident is harmed because of it. Foster Wallace can evaluate your case and advise you of the best way to proceed on your lawsuit involving a nursing home. 

Signs of Nursing Home Negligence

Changes in your loved one’s condition while in a nursing home may signal nursing home abuse and neglect. The following are a few nursing home neglect and abuse warning signs that one can look for:

  • Inadequately explained bruises or injuries
  • New bed sores
  • Unexpected hospitalization
  • Changes in mental status
  • Fear of nursing home staff and changes in sociability
  • Frequent falls

If you notice any of these changes but aren’t getting good answers, start asking more questions of your loved one—and their nurses and attending physicians. While Foster Wallace is very selective about the cases we accept, you can rest assured that if we take your case, we will aggressively fight to hold the negligent facility accountable and to obtain the maximum compensation you or your loved one is entitled to receive. Simply fill out the contact form on this page or call our office today to set up your free initial consultation.